[ocamlweb-devel] social networking

Ashish Agarwal agarwal1975 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 17:49:04 BST 2012

Hi ocaml.org developers,

I've created facebook [1] and twitter [2] accounts for us to use. I'm not
particularly adept at using either. Please let us know if you have good
ideas for how to make use of these assets. One idea is to add a "share to
twitter/facebook" link on select areas of the new site.

[1] http://www.facebook.com/groups/ocaml
[2] https://twitter.com/ocamlorg

It would be nice to consolidate ownership of these various accounts under
some responsible authority, e.g. the new OCamlLabs. Right now many of the
good names have been taken, are unused, and we don't know who owns them (if
you do, please let us know). Examples of accounts we should put to good use
are:

Github: "ocaml" organization. This luckily is in the hands of Anil and is
now being properly used.

Google: Would be nice to use the accounts "ocaml.org", "ocamlorg", or
"ocamlweb" (in order from highest to lowest preference), but I haven't
succeeded yet in finding out who owns them. Note "ocaml" would be the best
option, but that is not a valid google user name. The best we could get
right now is "ocamlwebsite", not great but not horrible. Esther has started
organizing videos on the associated youtube account.

Facebook: We now have the "ocaml" group, which is perfect. Surprisingly
this was not already taken. That just shows how far behind we are in using
social networking to promote OCaml.

Twitter: We now have the account @ocamlorg. I would prefer to use @ocaml,
but this is already taken (and unused). Note @ocaml.org is not a valid
Twitter name.