[ocaml-infra] Redesigning OCaml.org

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Tue Aug 6 19:46:20 BST 2013

On 6 Aug 2013, at 19:35, Sebastien Mondet <sebastien.mondet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Two or three cents also... :)
>
> - I like the colors and the modern overall look
> - the alignments of the blocs look much better also
> - but there are some things that I really prefer the current ocaml.org:
>    - the smaller font and the more dense design with more info and less clicks (and hence less long and painful HTTP requests)

I've got to say that the tiny font is one of my pet hates about the current OCaml theme.  The first thing I do is to crank it up to a default size.

However, this may be one of the areas where it's worth deferring to the opinions of a professional designer and not attempting to get consensus on.  I won't be surprised if half of us love the small font, and half of us hate it!

>    - the smaller top banner, with the dropdown menus (they work very nicely on my mobile, I don't understand all the hate)
> - the new logos "learn", "doc", etc look good but are really huge also, they make the interface look a bit "Playskool"
>
> I think http://git-scm.com is a bad example: who ever goes to that website?
> (been using git for 5 or 6 years now, don't remember ever finding anything there)

Fair point.  The new Scala site is quite fun, and doesn't pack in too much info in one page:
http://www.scala-lang.org

However, if we were to put a red dot where OCaml started, I don't think that the Rocquencourt barraks are nearly as scenic as Lake Geneva, sadly :-)