[ocaml-infra] Fwd: Redesigning OCaml.org

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain+ocaml at le-gall.net
Fri Aug 9 13:14:20 BST 2013

2013/8/9 Amir Chaudhry <amc79 at cam.ac.uk>:

> --
> sent via mobile
>
> On 9 Aug 2013, at 12:00, Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch> wrote:
>
> Le vendredi, 9 août 2013 à 08:02, Amir Chaudhry a écrit :
>
> Ok, I was being lazy with my words but it doesn't matter to me. As a new
> user, I'm telling you that I found the information useful (incidentally, the
> very next thing I did was to click through to the ocamlfind page, so I got
> to the same page you cite because it was properly linked).
>

> Whether you find it useful or not is not the point, good information design
> does not mislead.
>

> How is it misleading when ocamlfind *is* the most downloaded package in
> opam? Or are you disputing that?

I suppose Daniel point about ocamlfind is that it is misleading to
think that it is popular because it ranks high due to the number of
reverse dependencies on it.

In Debian packaging system there is a slight difference between
packages that you install yourself (we say they are manually
installed) vs packages which are installed to fullfill dependencies.
We use that to purge packages using "apt-get autoremove" and get rid
of packages we don't have manually installed.

Although, I think this is not misleading because a package that is a
dependency of every other packages is a good tip to say that maybe you
should consider using it. At least from a dev point of view, it is
worth considering.

Cheers
Sylvain