[ocaml-infra] google analytics configuration

Amir Chaudhry amc79 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 21 10:06:23 GMT 2013

On 21 Jan 2013, at 09:37, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas.gazagnaire at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm confused.  Why can't we give Administrator access to *only* the ocaml.org tracking to ocamlwebsite at gmail.com?
>>
>> From the home page try this:
>> ocamlpro -> ocaml.org -> Admin (near the top right of the screen) -> Users (+ New User) … and set the role to Administrator (i.e it's the same thing you did previously but with admin rights this time -- here for others who may be struggling with GAs confusing interface).
>
> I've tried to do that but that give admin rights to ALL ocamlpro websites. I've also tried to create a new account, to give it the admin access, and then removed my account as a admin on ocaml.org: result I've lost all admin acces to all ocamlpro account, and the fresh account has admin access to all ocamlpro account. That's very bad.

Wow. So in effect it's possible to transfer *everything* but not individual sites.  Now I understand the problem better, thank you for explaining.  (I do find this really bizarre on the part of GA).

>> This only exposes the ocaml.org tracking and nothing else within the overall GoogleID (e.g I'm tracking about 6 sites under my gmail ID and some of them are shared some not).  Thomas, you can test this with other folks in OCamlPro to confirm the behaviour first.
>
> I would advise you to double-check who has admin rights on your website then …

:) I went back to check for shared admin access and I don't have any (I spoke too soon).  However, I did use different email addresses/accounts (e.g admin at foo.com using Google Apps) to set up tracking IDs and then shared the data (not admin access) back to my own google ID.

Amir