[ocaml-infra] Fwd: [opam-repository] Add ocaml-markdown 0.1.1 (#863)

Amir Chaudhry amc79 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 19:12:28 BST 2013

There are also practical points that haven't been raised yet.

At the moment there are only 4 people who can create new repos and payment for the ocaml account is running though my credit card (hence, I'm one of those 4 people - it's ultimately being covered by OCaml Labs).  I think it's unwise to add a large number of 'owners' to this account and I hope the reasons are self-evident.  Therefore, I'd say that the existing 4 people are in a rather privileged position and should be disciplined about what repos they create.

I agree with Ashish's comment that the github/ocaml organisation should only be for "semi-official ocaml stuff".  Discovery of new libs should happen through OPAM so I'd encourage authors to make releases early and often there (and link back to their homepages).  Even if someone else wanted to rewrite half the code of something, it would still involve negotiation between the maintainer and submitter (being under github/ocaml makes almost no practical difference here).

Given the above, I'd be even more stringent with the criteria and turn it around.  I would only make repos under github/ocaml if it *didn't* make sense to do (or continue) anywhere else.

my 2cents,
Amir