[ocaml-infra] Redesigning OCaml.org - Using Markdown

Florent Monnier monnier.florent at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 11:37:09 BST 2013

2013/7/5, Ashish Agarwal wrote:
>> And about the wiki?
>
> One idea we've considered is having an "edit" link on every page, which
> would go directly to the github url for the source of that page. Then,
> GitHub allows you to edit the file directly in your browser. If you are not
> authorized to edit the main repo, GitHub will initiate a fork.

It is a good idea IMO.
This would make lower the threshold for action.

> Using GitHub's separate wiki feature is also an option, but I'm not sure it
> helps above having markdown in the main repo.

IMHO, the above idea won't replace the advantages of a real wiki.
This is a real pain for me that there is no real wiki for OCaml,
because in every community where I am I like to share a lot on its
dedicated wiki, and I can not with my favorite programming language.

> In both cases, the assumption is that converting the current HTML sources
> to Markdown will ease contributions. Thus, we need to get through the
> conversion, and then we can figure out how to optimize the contributor
> experience.

When this process of converting HTML to markdown starts please make us
aware on the mailing list, I'll be a voluntere to contribute a little.

--
Cheers