[ocaml-infra] markdown in "pure" OCaml

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Sat Jul 27 03:08:37 BST 2013

On 26 Jul 2013, at 18:20, Philippe Wang <philippe.wang at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2013, at 22:41 PM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Why would you want to create a tarball of something not committed?
>
> Sometimes you might want to create a tar ball of something that's been generated...

That's true.  The way to do this is to use the Github 'Releases' tab.  It can create a tag for you that you can associate binary tarballs with, and these are served separately from the repository itself.

https://github.com/blog/1547-release-your-software

There's no API to automate this yet, but it's in the works I hear...

(As Daniel points out, Github currently doesn't let you differentiate development tags from release tags, but I'd be surprised if the API doesn't support this when it's released, since you can already mark a tag as "prerelease" or "release" if you use their interface manually).

> Ok, until I change my mind, I won't put tar balls in the repo.

Tarballs in the repo is indeed the worst of all worlds.