[ocaml-infra] staging site for ocaml.org

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Tue Jun 4 15:28:50 BST 2013

On 4 Jun 2013, at 15:24, Martin Keegan <martin at no.ucant.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jun 2013, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>
>> If compiling a dev version of the site is really so onerous, we could
>> make it one of the staging tasks in the OCamlot bot to compile and push
>> to a staging site.
>
> It's not onerous for me - but it is certainly more onerous than a site
> which is pure markdown and which just needs to be pushed, as the markdown
> compile is done on the post-receive hook server-side.

Jekyll's easy because Github has an installation already -- but not so easy
if you have custom plugins, alas!

>> It doesn't seem too hard to just run a one-off OPAM installation though.
>
> Not hard at all, given that it's just cut-n-paste into the shell, but it
> took 25 minutes to download and compile all the bits.

Yep -- this should all get easier as a matter of course as binary packages
show up for the various new tools such as OPAM.  There are even some plans
afoot to support binary snapshots of OPAM builds, to make deployments in
cloud services easier.

For now though, content is king :)

-a