[ocaml-infra] Fwd: Github down again

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain+ocaml at le-gall.net
Fri Nov 1 09:52:13 GMT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain+ocaml at le-gall.net>
Date: 2013/11/1
Subject: Re: [ocaml-infra] Github down again
To: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil at recoil.org>

2013/11/1 Anil Madhavapeddy <anil at recoil.org>:
> I'm a little confused -- the intention behind git.ocaml.org is to act
> as a mirror for major OCaml repositories, so putting a dependency on Forge
> doesn't seem right.  What's the goal of the scripts you are talking about
> below?
>
> I'm thinking that we simply specify a list of Git URLs somewhere, and
> they are picked up by git.ocaml.org to publish as a mirror.  That could
> include a list exported by the Forge of its projects (that use Git), as
> well as others on GitHub.

Having a project on the forge will provide:
- a public list of member of the project (i.e. you know who to ping
when there is a problem)
- maintenance of the system hosting your project will be taken care by
someone else (including e.g. backup, system upgrade)
- adding a member to the project will be easier (vs if you are hosting
this on your host, you will have to create a user + add his ssh key)

What is precisely git.ocaml.org ?

If this is a VM or a physical host, I think you will slightly increase
the TCO of *.ocaml.org. If this is a virtual host inside OCamlLab, you
may have concern to add external contributor. The benefit to have it
separate is that if github and the OCaml forge will be down at the
same time, you still have no problem.

But all in all, the benefit of hosting it on the forge is not huge,
this may just be convenient for allowing other people to take care of
it and getting rid of some system maintainance. So I am not pushing
hard on this, I just think it is a good idea.

The scheme to synchronize will be the same in both case (cronjob +
list of url + a shell script).

Does it make sense to you ?