[ocaml-infra] Fwd: Github down again

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Fri Nov 1 10:56:12 GMT 2013

On 1 Nov 2013, at 10:41, Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Anil's idea is not to provide an active place where people can
> work on a given project (like the forge or Github), but a still place
> that exposes the state of development of some projects that are
> developed *elsewhere*. The counterpart, for versioned source code, of
> what a read-only mailing-list archive is with respect to the actual
> mailing-list server.
>
> If you take the OCaml compiler/distribution for example, a lot of the
> development is happening on the official SVN, and people also have
> forks spread in decentralized systems, but if I want to point someone
> to a specific commit or part of the source code, one solution today is
> to use the github.org/ocaml/ocaml mirror (whose interface is
> admittedly more convenient than the webSVN stuff available on the
> official SVN). Having a git.ocaml.org/ocaml could replace github for
> that need (but there wouldn't be any development happening there).

This is correct -- I want a longer term mirror that'll stick around for
published code even if the upstream disappears for whatever reason.

I view the Forge much like GitHub -- a development environment, and I
don't want to intertwine them for this reason.

> Something I'm personally wondering about is whether gitlab could also
> be used to support the git-based workflows that surround opam,
> ocamlot, etc. That's sensibly harder as this does require interaction,
> and I can undertand that Anil, that has invested significant time to
> learn github's scripting API, would not be keen on moving to a
> different platform that could remain technically subpar for a long
> time. (And keeping both in sync. would probably be a pain.)

In the long term, yes, but in the short-term, we gain a lot from the
network effort of GitHub.  We've got various projects on the boil
that'll ensure we don't stay locked into GitHub forever, though.

-anil