[ocaml-infra] Feedback on the ocaml.org redesign and logo

Amir Chaudhry amc79 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 4 15:31:13 BST 2013

On 24 Sep 2013, at 16:35, Florent Monnier <monnier.florent at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/09/24, Amir Chaudhry wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I've just put up a blog post asking for feedback on the ocaml.org redesign
>> [1].  I'm specifically interested in getting feedback on (1) the second
>> iteration of the OCaml Logo and (2) the new design for ocaml.org.  See the
>> blog post for more information.  We're tracking feedback via issues [2] and
>> there are some known issues already listed there.
>>
>> [1] http://amirchaudhry.com/ocamlorg-request-for-feedback/
>> [2] https://github.com/ocamllabs/sandbox-ocaml.org/issues?state=open
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Amir
>
> Is the process opened ?
> I mean is it possible for external people to also make submissions/proposals?
>
> (I don't know who made this proposal, but I guess he/she/they would
> maybe not be happy if someone else also make submissions/proposal. And
> graphics-design world is very unfair when several people work and only
> one wins.)
>
> Also usually graphics-designers make several design proposals. Could
> it be possible to see the other ones and comment these?
>
> If concurrent submissions/proposals are not allowed, is it allowed to
> modify this one?

Hi Florent, thanks for your comments.

Anyone is very welcome to suggest changes or propose new ideas and I encourage this.  However, if you're referring to paid design work I should point out that we're already working with a professional design agency and have been since earlier this year [1].  The output of this work is posted up on the github wiki for ocaml.org [2] and on this mailing list (with the occasional post on the caml-list).  I've also started to blog more about it, which should find it's way into OCaml Planet (e.g the post I linked to previously).

I've posted all the design options I have, so there aren't any other versions to look at.  I gave the agency a specific brief that the logo had to work in a square shape and have a bactrian camel.  If others are willing to make their ideas public then the best elements of those can still find their way into the final design (though I'd be wary of design by committee).  We're quite far into this process now and since you're the first person to mention it, I haven't had the impression this is something people wanted to do.

In any case, the end result is intended to be a new design for the ocaml.org site and a logo that is released to the community (probably under a creative commons licence, with svg files etc).  People will be able to modify it if they wish, though it would be great if people felt they could use the logo as is.

I hope the above answers your questions. Do you have specific comments on either the design or logo?  I'd love to hear them.

Best wishes,
Amir

[1] http://lists.ocaml.org/pipermail/infrastructure/2013-February/000136.html
[2] https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org/wiki/_pages