[ocaml-infra] Migrating to the new ocaml.org design

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Tue Oct 29 11:24:12 GMT 2013

On 29 Oct 2013, at 00:06, Amir Chaudhry <amc79 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Ashish, Christophe, Philippe and I have been discussing the new ocaml.org site design and how we should migrate to it.
>
> You can see the current design up at http://ocaml-redesign.github.io and the idea for merging this into the main site is the following:
>
> 1. We fork the current site into a new branch on the main GitHub repository (the new branch would be called 'redesign').
>
> 2. We clean up and replay our git commits on this new branch.  This gets us to the current redesign site but in an 'official' place.
>
> 3. We build a live version of the redesign branch (like we already have) and ask the community to review it and report any bugs or problems. We triage those bugs to identify any blockers and work on those first.

This is great!  One idea here to make it easier for third parties to contribute: use Travis to build and deploy the resulting HTML so that forks can have a version of the site on their GitHub pages.  I often find I want to send in a small patch, so I wonder if automating it all through Travis would ease the need for having to have a script running somewhere.

I've left the instructions for a secure Travis deployment in:
http://anil.recoil.org/2013/10/06/travis-secure-ssh-integration.html

(this is working well for the Mirage website rebuild so far, which is considerably more involved that ocaml.org)