[ocaml-infra] TLS (https) for ocaml.org

Hannes Mehnert hannes at mehnert.org
Wed Aug 20 16:13:45 BST 2014

First some disclaimers:
- - I'm not a lighthttpd expert
- - I don't know what is to protect on ocaml.org (what the security
model is)

- - Prefix handling     Not valid for "www.ocaml.org"   CONFUSING
> This causes a Big Scary Warning when accessing via www.ocaml.org

you might want to enable https only for ocaml.org, docs.ocaml.org,
forge.ocaml.org, lists.ocaml.org, and opam.ocaml.org (those hostnames
mentioned in the certificate)?

> - Chain issues     Incomplete This requires another download of the
> Gandi Standard SSL CA cert. Maybe we should bundle this cert for
> all our TLS sites?

Yes, that should be done. While my firefox does not complain about the
certificate chain (most likely it already has ghandi's certificate
installed), the server should distribute the chain up till the
self-signed CA certificate -- thus please include ghandi's cert.

> - RC4     Yes (with TLS 1.1 and newer)   WEAK I don't know the
> severity of this issue. Maybe a simple cipher-list modification?
> I'm not clear on the compatibility story.

windows XP with (unpatched) IE6 still supports only 3DES and RC4,
other OS should be fine without RC4
(http://blog.cloudflare.com/killing-rc4-the-long-goodbye might be of
interest); also
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tls-prohibiting-rc4-00.txt

> - Forward Secrecy     With some browsers This also looks like a
> configuration issue. Perhaps plain DHE would help?

I'd remove the !EDH from the ssl.cipher-list above (and add a !RSA
instead to prevent non-pfs connections). Also, why !AESGCM? I'd also
add !RC4, !eNULL, !LOW, !EXP (from
https://bettercrypto.org/static/applied-crypto-hardening.pdf)

hannes