[ocaml-infra] ocaml.org licensing

Fabrice Le Fessant fabrice.le_fessant at ocamlpro.com
Wed Feb 26 16:20:15 GMT 2014

Hi,

  I have a few points that I would like to see clarified before:

1/ What is exactly "Ocaml.org" in this discussion ? Is opam.ocaml.org
included here, or not ? I think it would be clearer if the website was
called "www.ocaml.org", and this licensing policy only applied to that
site.

2/ Ashish said the goal was to "give appropriate credit to
contributors", but I couldn't find either a page listing the
contributors, nor an official copyright holder or just contributors
per page. As a consequence, I don't see who is the BY of CC BY-SA 4.0
[1].

By the way, in France, the site would be illegal, I think, as there is
no public entity (or individual) taking the responsibility for
potential illegal content on any page.

3/ I am concerned by the "governance" part of
http://ocaml.org/about.html . I don't think the 5 current members are
representative of the OCaml community, 3 of them are in the UK, 1 in
the US and 1 in Belgium. Given that the current rules gives them too
much power (each of them has the right to prevent anybody from joining
the group: I have never seen that anywhere else, I would actually
expect the contrary, that any member would have the right to add new
members), I think it is a barrier for adoption and contribution by the
wider community (especially the French one, see for example how
outdated the page http://ocaml.org/docs/install.fr.html is, latest
version is 4.00.1 there).

--Fabrice

Fabrice LE FESSANT