[ocaml-infra] Adopting a Governance framework for OCaml.org

Xavier Leroy Xavier.Leroy at inria.fr
Fri Sep 11 17:15:34 BST 2015

On 11/09/15 12:46, Amir Chaudhry wrote:
> This is just a reminder that this process is still ongoing.
> The following people are currently involved with the domain itself
> or Projects that make use of it.  For each of the people in the list,
> do you agree to adopt the governance document?

I agree to adopt it.  And I thank Amir for all his efforts setting it up.

Fabrice Le Fessant adds:

>  It seems a bit surprising for me, while reading the document, that
> only people are involved, and not organizations. Given the structure
> of the OCaml community, I would have expected INRIA, Jane Street,
> OCamlPro, OCamllabs to be explicitely part of the discussion.

I read this as a board of trustees: people who might represent
organizations, but also contribute personally to the operation of the
ocaml.org infrastructure, and commit to support it in their personal
names.  Inria, OCamlPro, and OCamlLabs are represented.  I guess
someone from Jane Street would be welcome if he/she participates in
the operation.

> For example, opam.ocaml.org is maintained by OCamlPro (for OPAM source
> itself, by formerly Thomas and now Louis) and OCamllabs (for the
> repository, by Anil and Thomas). So, can a "Maintainer" be a company
> or institution, in addition to the  developers that are currently
> doing the work ?

No opinion.

> Moreover, the name "OCaml" still belongs to INRIA

Technically, no:  Inria doesn't have a trademark on "OCaml" nor "Caml"
(believe it or not, that was considered in the late 80's, but
abandoned), and I *personally* own the ocaml.org domain.

> , so I would have expected to see Xavier mentionned as both the main
> Owner/Maintainer of OCaml, and as representing INRIA and the Caml
> Consortium for all OCaml business.

I will gladly play that role of representative when needed, but I'm
not sure it shoudl be written in the document.

Best,

- Xavier Leroy