[ocaml-infra] Adopting a Governance framework for OCaml.org

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Wed Sep 16 20:27:20 BST 2015

On 14 Sep 2015, at 18:27, Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy at inria.fr> wrote:

> On 14/09/15 17:43, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>> There is no legal meaning to signing this document, because nobody is
>> signing anything.  It is, as Amir noted, a "living document" that
>> simply documents what superstructure exists at the moment.
>
> Right.  I made this joke to Anil already, but let me repeat it because
> I'm easily amused:
>
> Some people were expecting this document to be a constitution, of the
> continental Europe and American kind.  Instead, it's more like the
> British state:  there is an emphasis on time-honored best practices,
> fair discussions, jurisprudence; Anil as the current prime minister;
> and I as the benevolent but almighty Queen.

I'd hope that we'd end up with more of a Corbyn than a Cameron :-)

> As shocking as it is to people raised in Napoleonic law, the British
> state works.  Why wouldn't this document work too?
>
>> The only area where I really need to keep control is the Rackspace
>> VM infrastructure, since it puts around $25,000 a year onto my
>> personal credit card before being reimbursed...
>
> Wow.  I hope this is one of those credit cards where you get frequent
> flyer miles or other loyalty points :-)
>
> Do you think this is sustainable in the long term?  And do you have an
> idea of how much CPU power and storage space this represents?  (Just
> curious.)

Rackspace have been really generous with their cloud allotment, but
if it disappears then we can easily compress back down to a few physical
VMs.  Right now, the breakdown of VMs is roughly:

- infrastructure for DNS, HTTP(s) sites
- two large ones for Sylvain to migrate Forge onto
- some developer VMs (e.g. a FreeBSD one)
- remainder are CISO build VMs running as workers

The latter is where the bulk of the VM load lies -- I think we run
around 100 CPUs in total for parallel builds, and we can easily
accommodate more.  I think the whole of OPAM could be built in about
30 minutes with sufficient VMs, since Coq is probably the longest
build time in there at the moment for an individual package...

Logs are currently hovering at about 500GB uncompressed, but Thomas
Leonard put those into Irmin and they trivially compressed down to
a tenth of that once stored in Git.