[ocaml-infra] Access rights to ocaml.org's github repo

Fabrice Le Fessant Fabrice.Le_fessant at inria.fr
Wed Jan 20 17:51:25 GMT 2016

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 5:38 PM Ashish Agarwal <agarwal1975 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'd rather we kept the list of direct committers to fewer people, and not
> keep strictly increasing the size of the list.

I would feel exactly the opposite way. If ocaml.org wants to be seen as a
community website, it should have a lot of members from the community.
Restricting the number of members a priori means we don't trust the
community, and we put all the power in the hands of a few people. Why
should we trust them more than other OCaml users ? I have already raised my
concern about the lack of democracy in the current governance, the
organization is top-down, when a community organization should be bottom-up.

> Mauny is being kept despite not meeting the above criteria, but he meets a
> different one: the INRIA team should have 1 person on the list since they
> want to and they own the domain.

Michel Mauny is not working at Inria, and not in the Gallium team (he is
working at ENSTA, working from time to time at IRILL, and a member of
ocaml.org because he organized OCaml'2014). To the best of my knowledge, I
am the only member of Gallium that has had any interest in being part of
ocaml.org, so the argument is a bit counter-productive, unless you want to
support my membership in the project...

> Louis, I have no objection to adding you since you contribute to the
> community in plenty of ways. However, can you please explain what your
> contribution to ocaml.org has been or will be. Why do you want access?

Interesting question. Would you actually ask also the current members to
write such a statement to back their current membership ?

> Regarding listing people's organizations, this was discussed before, and I
> proposed: people's organization be listed if their contribution to
> ocaml.org is on behalf of that organization. In other words, if you want
> to add your organization after your name, go ahead.

The whole point of adding the company is to avoid a company from having too
much power over the site, but if it's a choice, then it makes the whole
thing useless.

--Fabrice