[ocaml-infra] Access rights to ocaml.org's github repo

Ashish Agarwal agarwal1975 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 18:59:47 GMT 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Fabrice Le Fessant <
Fabrice.Le_fessant at inria.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 5:38 PM Ashish Agarwal <agarwal1975 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd rather we kept the list of direct committers to fewer people, and not
>> keep strictly increasing the size of the list.
>>

> I would feel exactly the opposite way. If ocaml.org wants to be seen as a
> community website, it should have a lot of members from the community.

It welcomes *all* members of the community to contribute. We're only
talking about who has the responsibility to review and accept contributions
for quality control purposes. It is entirely common practice for public
open-source projects to restrict the final committers, otherwise chaos
ensues with completely random contributions.

Michel Mauny is not working at Inria...

Sorry, my mistake. I may have completely misunderstood Mauny's role. I'm in
favor of removing him too. He only need access during the time he was
running OCaml 2014 to avoid delays in pushing content. He has made no other
contributions and has not expressed any interest in doing so.

> Louis, I have no objection to adding you since you contribute to the
>> community in plenty of ways. However, can you please explain what your
>> contribution to ocaml.org has been or will be. Why do you want access?
>>

> Interesting question. Would you actually ask also the current members to
> write such a statement to back their current membership ?

Yes I would, except I don't need to because I already know the answer.

My question was posed to Louis, and I have not received an answer from him.
It has been made clear to you that membership on the ocaml.org project is
for individuals, not organizations. Thus, in this matter, I'm still
awaiting a reply from Louis.

> Regarding listing people's organizations, this was discussed before, and I
>> proposed: people's organization be listed if their contribution to
>> ocaml.org is on behalf of that organization. In other words, if you want
>> to add your organization after your name, go ahead.
>>

> The whole point of adding the company is to avoid a company from having
> too much power over the site, but if it's a choice, then it makes the whole
> thing useless.

You are creating a mountain out of a mole hill. The list isn't exactly that
big. It's pretty clear who the people are and where they work. Are you
actually suspicious about some company exerting undue control over ocaml.org?
We're a small community that is already overstretched, so let's avoid
addressing completely unrealistic hypothetical scenarios.

Furthermore, I disagree with you in principle. People have the right to do
various kinds of work independent of their employer. If that is the case
for someone, it is wrong to list their employer's name since it incorrectly
affiliates the employer with some project they are not involved with.