[ocaml-infra] New Git repository in ocaml GitHub org

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Wed Jan 25 14:30:51 GMT 2017

On 25 Jan 2017, at 14:22, Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 25 January 2017 at 14:45, David Allsopp wrote:
>> It is desirable to keep the fragment files, but these add considerable
>> weight to the main repository (and OCaml sources tarball). I have proposed
>> in the solution using a Git submodule to store the archived entries.
>
> Are you sure about this ? It seems to me that git should be able to handle this without too much problem and it should be easy enough not to include them in the release tarball. I personally had a terrible experience with git submodules (though that was a long time ago) and I wouldn't advise anyone to get into this mess.

Git submodules are indeed surprisingly difficult to use reliably.
Would storing the fragments in an independent branch be workable?
Those objects would not add more weight to a checkout of OCaml
trunk, but still be accessible a checkout away.

(Caveat: I haven't reviewed the rest of your proposal in detail, David,
 so apologies if this is well-trodden ground).

Anil