[opam-devel] new: opam-1.0.0

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Sun Apr 14 10:35:50 BST 2013

On 17 Mar 2013, at 22:34, James Turner <james at calminferno.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 09:49:57PM -0400, James Turner wrote:
>> Attached is a new port for opam an OCaml source-based package manager.
>> Tested on amd64 and loongson. On amd64 the binaries produced are native
>> code while on loongson they are OCaml bytecode; so WANTLIB and PLIST
>> vary slightly for these type of platforms. However having the extra
>> WANTLIBs (c & m) and the @bin markers doesn't seem to be a problem on
>> the bytecode using platforms. Is this alright or should special checks
>> be put in place?
>>
>> I would appreciate if OCaml people give this a go. I did limited testing
>> using opam init and opam installing some packages.
>>
>> oks?
>>
>> Information for inst:opam-1.0.0
>>
>> Comment: OCaml source-based package manager

>> supports multiple simultaneous compiler installations, flexible package
>> constraints, and a Git-friendly development workflow.

>> WWW: http://opam.ocamlpro.com/
>>

> jca@ noticed some issues with opam's build system, ocp-build, when
> building this port with SYSTRACE=Yes. The build system would download a
> few libraries at build time and basically statically compile them into
> the opam binary. jca@ discovered another distfile we can use that
> already contains these files. I've updated the port and it's attached
> here.
>
> The other option would be to import the additional libraries as separate
> ports and rely on an alternate build target to build opam which would
> utilize the system libraries.
>
> Preferences, thoughts?

ocp-build is a bit less packaging friendly than ocamlbuild.  There's a
'make with-ocamlbuild' target that will use that in preference to ocp-build
(however, ocp-build is far nicer for day-to-day development and will
eventually be packaging friendly too).

There's an opam-1.0.0-full.tar.gz which contains all the dependencies.
Since the final output is just a binary and has no LIB_DEPENDS on the
OCaml libraries, it may be simpler to package that instead.  It's already
been broken up though, so this is no big deal for the moment.

However, I did notice that the make with-ocamlbuild target seems to be
missing a cudf3 dependency on 1.0.0, so created an issue to look at it
later:
https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam/issues/591