[opam-devel] New Oasis

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Tue Dec 17 16:28:00 GMT 2013

On 16 Dec 2013, at 13:16, Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain at le-gall.net> wrote:

> 2013/12/16 Jeremie Dimino <jdimino at janestreet.com>:
>> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain at le-gall.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We had a small regression on threads with oasis 0.4.0:
>>>
>>> https://forge.ocamlcore.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=291&aid=1358&group_id=54
>>>
>>> This should be fix in master, but there is no release yet. You should
>>> check if it affects you before releasing.
>>

>> It does affect core...
>>
>> BTW would it make sense to have oasis as a dependency for releases?
>> Basically oasis without the `oasis setup` step. Now that we have opam one
>> more dependency is not a big deal and new oasis releases would benefit all
>> packages without having to re-release everything.
>>

> The decision to have a fully standalone setup.ml somehow made sense to
> avoid dependencies when I first release OASIS... Nowadays I think
> having a build deps on OASIS and using the dynamic setup would be fine
> with OPAM. Just consider that people not using OPAM may not be happy
> with the change.
>
> On a longer term, we may also see problems like OASIS stop supporting
> "OASISFormat: 0.1" and in this case, you will have problem with every
> OASIS 0.1 packages that depends on OASIS which will not support 0.1
> anymore. This should be a minor problem, but still.

This is not a problem with OPAM since it supports package constraints.

However, it would be *very* helpful if multiple versions of OASIS could
be installed at the same time in this case.  Right now, if two packages
depend on OASIS with mutually incompatible versions, that will result in
an installation failure.

Until then, I'd prefer to keep the dependency chain for Core as
short as possible (i.e. just commit the autogenerated files as things are
right now).