[opam-devel] OPAM+Vagrant, and calling Emacs gurus

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Mon Dec 30 20:21:11 GMT 2013

I'm putting together a Vagrant VM for the 'opam in a box' effort:
https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/1035

Vagrant (http://www.vagrantup.com/) is a virtual machine manager that
makes it easy to spin up development instances on MacOS X and Windows
(unlike Docker, which is Linux only at present).

I've got a Vagrant repo here:
https://github.com/avsm/vagrant-opam

...which installs opam-doc, Core, Async and Merlin, and a preconfigured
Vim configuration.  Unfortunately, I know nothing about Emacs. Would
anyone be willing to commit a setup-emacs.sh script that's similar to
the setup-vim.sh one, along with brief instructions on how to use it?

To use it, just install Vagrant and VirtualBox, and:

$ git clone git://github.com/avsm/vagrant-opam
$ cd vagrant-opam
$ vagrant up
$ vagrant ssh

And you'll be SSHed into the VM.

There are already a number of Emacs instructions here on the Real
World OCaml site, and it would be nice to match those (including the
utop integration) so that students have a nice experience.

http://realworldocaml.org/install

Once that's set up, I'll configure one of our infrastructure machines
to rebuild the Vagrant box regularly and publish it live, so that it
can cloned quickly by anyone without having to build all the packages.

thanks!
Anil