[opam-devel] [ocaml-infra] Wireframe demo of OCaml.og

Maxence Guesdon Maxence.Guesdon at inria.fr
Fri Mar 15 12:21:05 GMT 2013

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:34:42 +0100
Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas at ocamlpro.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I mean: could it be possible to create some kind of "info" packages in
> > opam to indicate that a library/tool/... exists but is not packaged
> > yet ? With a flag to make them appear in opam list and search ?
>
> You can already create "empty" packages with a dummy build instruction which just display "NOT PACKAGED YET!" and exit with a non-zero code, but I doubt this would be very helpful to the user (and quite frustrating). But why not ...
>
> > This could encourage contributors to package not yet packaged tools and
> > libs.
> >
> > Regarding tags, it is possible that I missed the information, but is
> > opam going to handle tags associated to packages ? (I saw some
> > tag-based search in packages in Amir's demos)
>
> Yup, OPAM 1.0.0 supports tags but we haven't advertise that properly yet (the priority was to release the tool with all the rights features in). Now we can concentrate on the package metadata themselves.
>
> If you look at section 1.2.4 of the dev-manual[1] your can see that you can add these new fields in the .opam:
>
> homepage: "url"
> authors: [ "me" "you" ]
> tags: [ "foo" "bar" ]
>
> I encourage everybody with some spare time to add these relevant fields to the existing package metadata :-) Bonus points if you come-up with some automatic tools to do this.
> For the tag conventions, I'm pretty in favor of re-using the great work that has already been put in the hump. Is there a list of tags and their description available somewhere ?

I can extract it, but it may not be the best one. Some kind of merge
with oasis-db tags could be better. Of course, there should not be any
restriction on tags, but a way to list the tags used in existing
packages should be useful to choose appropriate ones for a new package.
Something like `opam tag -l`.

> You can query the tags on the command line: `opam info foo -f tags` will display the tags associated to the package foo but I just realize that the search function doesn't look at the tags yet ... I've opened [2] to to keep track of this.
>
> > At last, I also saw in Amir's demos news feeds associated to packages.
> > Will the RSS feed be indicated in opam package information ?
>
> This is a great idea, I'm not sure how to do this properly yet but that's something what we really aim for (ie. give the user the ability to get quick feedback on a given package). This is now tracked by [3].

I replied into [3]
> --
> Thomas
>
> [1] https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam/raw/master/doc/dev-manual/dev-manual.pdf