[opam-devel] Does pin git:// really make sense ?

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Thu May 30 14:50:10 BST 2013

Le jeudi, 30 mai 2013 à 14:24, Daniel Bünzli a écrit :
> Here again I don't see how this is related to what I say, I didn't say "I don't want to be able to pin a package to a specific version" I said that in the current state of opam using pin with a git url is a fundamentally broken idea as it assumes that the checkout should be built the same way as the last package version opam has.

Btw. the same could be said about packages that have git urls instead of tarballs. The `opam` file to build the package could get out of sync w.r.t. to how the checkout expects to be build.

My proposal was about a way to automatically keep these things synchronized at a single source (the git repo itself).

Best,

Daniel