[opam-devel] [MirageOS-devel] 0install gist for macos x

Thomas Leonard talex5 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 09:26:38 BST 2014

On 27 April 2014 22:34, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil at recoil.org> wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2014, at 09:44, Thomas Leonard <talex5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 27 April 2014 08:01, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil at recoil.org> wrote:
>>> If anyone want's to play around with 0install, I've put a tidied up gist here:
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/avsm/39d0ced39f9ed45165d5
>>>
>>> It'll be submitted upstream soonish hopefully, and then binary bottled (so you can `brew install 0install` without having to compile anything).  The GTK2 GUI is a little clunky on MacOS X as it takes some time to spin up, but works fine in my limited testing so far.
>>
>> By the way, we'd be very happy to have a native OS X GUI plugin if
>> anyone has time. It should be fairly easy to do as there's a clean
>> split between the GUI code and the logic: just copy the gui_gtk
>> directory and translate to your favourite toolkit...
>
> Has anyone built a web interface, out of interest?  That would be much more likely to be useful on an ARM board too, as it could provide a configuration frontend.
>
>>> $ 0install add opam http://test.roscidus.com/opam.xml
>>>
>>> This spins up the GUI and gives a 'OS version mismatch error' as expected (since Thomas' published test repo is a Linux OPAM binary).  More later as I catch up on e-mail...
>>
>> I've added the Linux-x86 and Darwin-x86_64 binaries too now - let me
>> know if it works!
>
> Almost!  It now downloads the archive, but fails when creating /var/cache (doesn't exist on MacOS X).  Is there an environment variable to control this (or configure time option)?

That's odd. It might try writing there (in case it's running as root),
but it doesn't need to and normally it can't. It works on Linux even
if /var/cache is missing.

What does this output?

0install run -vvc http://test.roscidus.com/opam.xml

--
Dr Thomas Leonard        http://0install.net/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA