[opam-devel] Package requires copying into a system directory

Dario Teixeira darioteixeira at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 15:05:11 BST 2014

Hi,

And thank you, Anil and Daniel, for your prompt replies.  I'm now considering the
alternative approach of providing GNU Source-highlight with a fully-qualified path
for sexp.outlang, instead of copying the file into its data directory.  This path
must be known at compile time (e.g $HOME/.opam/4.01.0/share/camlhighlight/sexp.outlang),
so I'll be taking a look at the OPAM and OASIS documentation to figure out how to
best do this.  Stay tuned.

<rant>
And if someone has some free time on their hands or wants to give an interesting
project to a student, writing a pure OCaml generic syntax highlighting library
is definitely something to consider.  GNU Source-highlight may have the advantage
of being packaged for all major distros, but in other respects it's a fine example
of why C++ is *not* the language to choose for heavy symbolic processing...
</rant>

Best regards,
Dario Teixeira