[opam-devel] How to manage a package manager (Was: Re: [opam] Build clarification (#1149))

Yaron Minsky yminsky at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 18:34:51 GMT 2014

I broadly agree with Anil's point about priorities.  opam-in-opam
seems tricky, and to me relatively low value.  Making packages and
installation and uninstallation more reliable seems more boring, but
way more important.

In terms of improving package quality, I wonder if we need better
tools to highlight to package owners when their packages fail.  One
approach would be for each package to have a set of owners, and for
each owner to have a status page that alerts them to problems with
their packages.  I think there would be a lot of value in alerting
people when their packages are broken, and it would be even better to
reject their pull requests automatically if it appears that they're
breaking the world.

A useful concept here is blame.  When something is broken, it's nice
if you can (sometimes artificially) choose someone to "blame" for the
problem, i.e., someone who is in some way involved in what has gone
wrong, and can be the responsible person to ensure it gets fixed, or
gets assigned to the right person to fix it.  I wonder if ocamlot (or
whatever triaging system we end upwith) can have some notion of blame
built into it.