[opam-devel] Adding `--without-aspcud` to OPAM quick install

Amir Chaudhry amirmc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 16:07:58 GMT 2014

Folks,

This is just an FYI and so it's documented somewhere.

I'm on OSX Mountain Lion and just tried a `brew reinstall opam`.  It 'unexpectedly' failed for me as aspcud is a recommended dependency and one of its dependencies (gringo) requires Mavericks.  I say 'unexpected' as I'd assumed homebrew would detect the failure and proceed without that dependency. However, I just learned that's not how it works [1].

To install opam via homebrew on Mountain Lion, the incantation is now `brew install opam --without-aspcud'.  To avoid other users coming across this, I've edited the opam wiki [2] to add this line and also the RWO install wiki [3].

Note: I'm not intending to move to Mavericks in the immediate future so if there are Mountain Lion specific things people need/want to try, please let me know.

AC

[1] https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/wiki/Formula-Cookbook
[2] https://github.com/ocaml/opam/wiki/Quick_Install
[3] http://realworldocaml.org/install