[opam-devel] call for help: opam history

Amir Chaudhry amc79 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 23 14:42:15 BST 2014

On 2 Oct 2014, at 12:39, Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch> wrote:

> Le jeudi, 2 octobre 2014 à 12:40, Amir Chaudhry a écrit :
>> Thanks for presenting the overview. I actually don't really agree with point 1 (the ancestors), nor do I think it's helpful to point out specific differences between OPAM and GODI (at least in this document).
>>
>> As a relative newcomer to OCaml, I would find it a little odd if much time was spent on other tools that existed before.
> I think you are confusing things. This is not a sales brochure or "why you want to use opam". It's about where does opam come from a historical perspective. As such it is important to put opam's birth in context and what existed at the time.

I don't have the view that this is a sales brochure at all so apologies if it came across that way. Having thought about this some more -- and reframing the first section in my head as 'the history of OCaml package management' -- I quite like Fabrice's headings.

Part of me does find it a little unfair to specifically call out GODI's problems, as it might come across as bashing the immediate predecessor. I'm sure GODI also solved many other problems when it was around and that the issues it created may not have existing in the beginning (github-based workflows have been a boon to many software projects).

In any case I look forward to reading this, when it's ready :)

AC