[opam-devel] Travis is broken

Peter Zotov whitequark at whitequark.org
Fri Oct 24 11:59:10 BST 2014

On 2014-10-24 14:20, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> One reason I haven't spent too much time on buildbot and bors is that
> they
> all need some level of customisation to the specific deployment.

I'm actually almost done. (Bored, insomnia, etc.) The Buildbot
configuration
is really simple in this case, it just runs a single Docker command,
which
pulls from the repo and then runs a script derived from .travis-ci.sh:

https://github.com/whitequark/opam-repository/blob/master/.docker-ci.sh
https://gist.github.com/whitequark/516973336a55971e2507

A bigger problem is OS X workers, which don't have anything like Docker
for build isolation. But I think they have a sandboxing mechanism.

> The OCamlot work that David Sheets did last year is ripe for a refresh
> with
> all the new infrastructure that's been built in the last year.  For
> example:
>
> - opamLib is now much easier to use as a library than it was in opam
> 1.0
> - the ocaml-git bindings work, so all the shelling out to the cmdline
> disappear
> - David has almost finished GitHub webhooks integration to ease that
> callback process
> - Irmin or Arakoon could be used as the k/v store for the logs now
>
> Al in all, I'd be inclined to put time into putting together a
> self-hosted
> one using this infrastructure.  The only real missing major piece is
> the web
> UI.  I wonder if there is some js_of_ocaml-friendly UI layer that we
> could drop
> in for log viewing purposes...

This sounds like it could take months.

> -anil
>
>> On 24 Oct 2014, at 01:07, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas at gazagnaire.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I agree this is a problem and I just sent a message to Travis CI
>> support to tell them about the issue. If you come up with a nice
>> solution I'm sure we can find a way to host it. Would be worth looking
>> at docker images (see https://github.com/avsm/docker-opam).
>>
>> Thomas
>>
>> On 24 Oct 2014, at 01:11, Peter Zotov <whitequark at whitequark.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'll be brief: Travis can't keep up with load on opam-repository.
>>> See
>>> https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/pull/2883#issuecomment-60322073
>>> and https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/issues/2880
>>> for more details.
>>>
>>> I'll hack together a buildbot+bors config this weekend.
>>> I can run it off my own infrastructure for some time, but in the long
>>> run, of course, it's better if some "official" team owns (and
>>> guarantees
>>> that it's up) the infra. I also don't have headless OS X, and
>>> I don't want my laptop to be the buildslave for long :p
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter Zotov

Peter Zotov