[opam-devel] opam 1.3 status

Thomas Gazagnaire thomas at gazagnaire.org
Fri Dec 18 15:30:35 GMT 2015

Hi Louis.

all of this sounds very good. I'd just like to report 3 more features that various people have told me about this last months:

1/ `opam bundle`: it seems that a few existing projects don't want to tell their users to install OCaml and opam. They just want a stand-alone tarball that you can decompress and run `configure && make && make install`. There are already some patches from @ygrek doing this, that would be very cool to integrate the tool upstream

2/ local switch/root. few people reported that they would like to use a per-project opam root. This could be done easily by making the CLI check for a `.opam` directory in parent directories. Or it could work with a local config switch file (now that we have only one config file per switch), stored in the repository.

3/ local remotes. Currently the remote are per-switch which make them a bit annoying when you have a repo with dev packages. Currently it's easier to share a list of pins that a remote. So maybe extend `opam pin` to allow to take file of packages to pin -- actually it could already work with `opam switch import`, so maybe it's just a matter of documentation.

And last big item, that I haven't seen in your list: windows support: is this still on the map?

Thomas