[opam-devel] Opam ocsigen repository

Drup drupyog+caml at zoho.com
Thu Feb 19 17:05:36 GMT 2015

> Out of curiosity, what was tedious to maintain there?
>
> One thing that's come up in both Mirage and XAPI is to have a script that 'splices' a released package from one remote to another.  That would let us upload stable cuts to a working remote, and then move them over to opam-repository.  Would that sort of thing help Ocsigen as well?
The opam ocsigen was never done for stable packages, opam-repository is
already there for that. We did it when eliom 4.0 was cooking, and the
previous eliom version of eliom was very old, so it was necessary even
for beginners to use the dev versions of all the packages. opam pin was
not very mature at the time.

Now, with opam pin, we have opam files in each package repository, and
we would need a mostly-the-same but slightly-different set of opam files
in the opam repository. In practice, the opam repository was never
updated and was kept out of sync all the time, confusing everyone.

Also, the need to use dev versions is far less important, since the
released versions are much closer to the dev versions. And with
`--dev-version`, pinning dev versions is really easy.

Basically, it's a mix of inconvenience to maintain and lack of
necessity. We could probably have automate it (probably not completely,
though), but in the end, it's not really worth it.

See this discussion, we just took slightly too long to actually kill it,
we should have done it last year: https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/1734