[opam-devel] OPAM 1.3 roadmap

Roberto Di Cosmo roberto at dicosmo.org
Mon Feb 23 19:36:05 GMT 2015

Hmmm... a word of warning on all this, though: the list of files installed by a
package _may_ depend on the particular choice of other packages (and versions of
packages) present in the system at build time.

This is not a problem for distributions like Debian/RedHat/OpenSuse etc. because
the build is done only once to produce a binary package, that is then installed
by all users.

Opam is not working as a standard GNU/Linux distribution right now: it is
not binary based, and it has no notion of "release" (all version are there at
once!), so the intuition coming from other environments we are used to may be
misleading... the "list of installed files" may not be well defined in general.

--
Roberto

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 08:24:00AM +0000, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> > * Tracking of files installed by packages. While unrelated to repo signing, this might have some security implications, so we might want to bring it in.
> <...>
> - Registering the files that are installed is going to be quite a large
undertaking within the repository, but also makes eventual binary distributions much easier.