[opam-devel] 'provides' field design proposal

Louis Gesbert louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com
Wed Jan 7 08:26:18 GMT 2015

Some follow-ups, before updating the design document:

* On pinning: pinning a source clearly implies this is a concrete package (or becomes one); on the other hand, pinning a version should only be allowed for concrete packages. With this limitations I think we can sort it out without too much trouble. Since any virtual package has to be provided by some concrete package, you can always pin those, or create your own package with the same "provides" and pin it.

* internal heuristics: as Roberto pointed out, this his handled by Dose, so shouldn't be too much trouble either (but given the nature of this code, it's impossible to be sure at the moment). A rewrite to ORed depends is possible in the worst case, but adding a layer at that stage would probably mess up user messages ; it should really not be needed.

* checking concrete dependencies: not sure how that would be covered by 'provides', as it is the conjunction of several packages that provides the new one (cohttp + lwt => cohttp-lwt). It seems closer to the 'features' stuff, but you can't _depend_ on a feature with the current design (restricting features definitions to package formulas may make it possible though; I'll think about it)...
  Another possibility, maybe (but interaction with cudf would need to be carefully studied, because we are getting out of what is supported), would be to have additional formulas on 'provides':
  cohttp/ provides: [ "cohttp-lwt" { lwt } ]
  In terms of rewriting it doesn't seem much more difficult, virtual package cohttp-lwt would include ("cohttp" & "lwt") in its depends disjunction instead of just "cohttp". Anyway, we can easily leave that part for later.

* new question: if I have several packages providing Foo, should I recompile a package depending on Foo whenever one of them changes ? I'd say yes...

* Location of design documents: not sure at all this is best, because versionning of the design document (at least during the design phase) doesn't need to be synchronized with the source, but it has its advantages, and I don't like github's wikis much. Seemed more practical for something in-depth than just an issue. Do you suggest another option ? Adding headers is a good idea.

Cheers!
Louis