[opam-devel] release scripts

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Mon Jun 15 09:45:47 BST 2015

On 11 Jun 2015, at 17:44, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas at gazagnaire.org> wrote:

>> Does this also do a GitHub release, or just create the tag upstream?
>
> It just create the tag. Creating the GitHub release would imply dealing with diffs in CHANGES files and will require talking to the GitHub API, which is not totally trivial (at least for me :p)

There's a tool to create GitHub releases in ocaml-github:

https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-github/blob/master/jar/create_release.ml

I'd definitely recommend adding this into the release workflow, as otherwise it creates a divergence with current practises, and leads to releases being missing from automated scripts (such as the MirageOS ones) that gather this information from the GitHub API.

The ChangeLog is indeed a problem.  I have an extremely fledgling version here:
https://github.com/avsm/opam-repo-tools
but it needs significant work to lint and deal with quirks in existing changelogs.

cheers
Anil