[opam-devel] On the new mixed mode pins

Louis Gesbert louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com
Thu May 21 06:00:25 BST 2015

> >> Yes, `opam upgrade` does it. Also, due to some magic, `opam upgrade PIN` is sufficient, as it will first force an update of PIN. It's convenient, and harmless enough since it would generally make little sense otherwise.
>
> Ah, this is useful! I had indeed been using "reinstall" to test out
> changes. I'll try using "upgrade" now, since that also covers the case
> where you forgot to pin the directory at all (or unpinned it, or
> pinned it on a different switch).

I think the interface could still be improved though, as when prior installation failed, `upgrade` will return an error while `reinstall` will install normally after prompting for confirmation. You generally don't want to deal with different commands depending on the current state of the package when you're testing.

In any case, `opam reinstall` could print a helpful `[NOTE]` when reinstalling a pinned/dev package that has no changes, just in case.

Maybe an `opam build`, or `opam install --build-only` to only check but not install (and run recompilations of dependants) could be useful, too. But we already have too many options.