[opam-devel] [RFC] OPAM files as *the* OCaml package metadata format

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Wed Apr 13 15:27:27 BST 2016

Hello,

A lot of the things I envision for the gradual simplification of the OCaml build and package eco-system involves using OPAM files as the pivotal package metadata file format (Louis, I really need these x- fields for playing with ideas…)

Since OCaml packages may also get used outside OPAM itself (e.g. in an os package manager), this means that I need to install opam files so that they can be made available to hypothetical tools that consume them, independently from an OPAM install. The upcoming topkg packager overhaul will do this automatically, unless prevented.

However the following questions remain:

1. Where should those be installed in `lib:` (like METAs) or `etc:` (seems more logical) or … ?
2. Has this any chance to confuse OPAM itself  ? My guess is no, it treats its install directories elements as sequence of bytes.

Best,

Daniel