[opam-devel] current opam-repository policy : who can modify a package description

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Mon Feb 22 16:31:46 GMT 2016

On 22 Feb 2016, at 16:23, Hannes Mehnert <hannes at mehnert.org> wrote:

> When a new release of any dependency is issued, this might be
> incompatible with earlier versions (unfortunately we don't enforce
> semantic versioning, afaik elm does this and opam should adapt).

Interesting idea -- so this would mean that OPAM has to remap
upstream versions into something that is a semantic version.

Does Elm eliminate this by mandating that libraries should
"natively" all be semantically versioned?  We can't do this in
OCaml today since there are too many upstream packages with
their own versioning notions.

Anil