[opam-devel] Opam license bug

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Tue Jan 19 08:47:16 GMT 2016

Le mardi, 19 janvier 2016 à 08:56, Roberto Di Cosmo a écrit :
> So, well, first of all, let me totally and deeply disagree on the cursorily repeated assertions in this thread that imply that GPL is BAD and BSD is GOOD. This kind of generic self asserting statements are ok among kids, not grown up persons able to master a sophisticated language like OCaml.

If you had actually taken time to read me rather than make pointless inflammatory comments, you would have realized that I never implied this at any point in the discussion.

So to help your inability to read here's a summary of what I said:

1. Having the LGPL and the proposed unfair CLA is inacceptable. It is harmful to the growth of the project and hence given the status of the project in the OCaml community to the latter itself.

2. If OCamlPro wants to have more leeway to do whatever it wishes with opam and its contributions they should rather license it under a more liberal license and avoid the CLA.

3. I'm perfectly fine if opam stays with the LGPL. I'm not however fine with the added CLA.

So now do actually try to act like a grown up person and comment on the actual problem which is the unfair CLA, not the LGPL vs BSD problem.

Best,

Daniel