[opam-devel] Opam license bug

Mark Shinwell mshinwell at janestreet.com
Tue Jan 19 11:18:24 GMT 2016

Just a small thing to add.  It seems to me that the real value of OPAM
is as part of the fabric of the OCaml community.  It's that community
that drives the development of the language---and indeed in some cases
provides the means for people to be gainfully employed on projects
related to that language.  As such, the first priority would seem to
be ensuring that OPAM's development can be as fast and sustainable as
possible.  To my mind having a simple BSD (or Apache, but be careful
of incompatibility with LGPL) licence is probably the most reliable
way of helping achieve that goal.

(Aside: I'm not sure even that completely negates the need for a CLA,
although you would need to ask a lawyer to be more certain.  For
example, if some organisation wishes to use OPAM and do IP due
diligence upon the code, they may be interested in such documents
attesting to the origin of the code and who the copyright holders are.
Perhaps the CLA would also provide greater protection to the
organisation acting as the "guardian" of OPAM.  However if the CLA
were to be a standard one that does not involve copyright transfer
(for example, the upstream OCaml one, being very similar to that of
the Apache Foundation) and the licence were permissive, the worst case
is probably people dissuaded by the burden of submitting a CLA rather
than people refusing to contribute on the grounds of the licence.)

What's the worst case with a BSD licence?  Maybe Microsoft will use
the code for the next package manager for Windows.  Or maybe Apple
will, and then you'll be famous.

Mark