[opam-devel] "Typosquatting programming language package managers"; how to protect opam-repository from typo-squatting?

Louis Gesbert louis.gesbert at ocamlpro.com
Thu Jun 9 18:02:16 BST 2016

> 1. Make package installation sandboxed in such a way that just installing a
> package is harmless as long as its code is not linked and run. (Of course
> this code may be linked and run if a developer also makes a typo in its
> software.)

This is already possible, but Linux-only, and requires a local setup (opam
allows wrappers for package commands, and I wrote some scripts based on Linux
namespaces to restrict network and FS access. Not quite secure at the moment
but could be made so). I intended this mainly for CI (and paranoid users), and
am already using it locally.

> So my question: where in the opam-repository QA process should I add a
> script (preferably written in OCaml rather than shell) that gets the name
> of the packages proposed for inclusion, also has access to the name of
> existing packages in the repository, and can fail or warn if the proposed
> one is typo-close to an existing one?
>
> (This test can have false positives, eg. installing lablgtk2 when lablgtk
> exists. It should still fail in a visible way in the UI, but not in a way
> that prevent other, more advanced tests, such as package installability.)

My intention was to add a function for this kind of package/repo checks in
src/state/opamFileTools.ml, taking an additional switch_state as parameter,
and returning type as `lint`. Then opamMain can (optionally ?) load a state
and aggregate the results before printing.

Thanks !
Louis