[ocaml-opengl] WebGL (was: LablGL's Raw module)

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Wed Mar 13 19:51:41 GMT 2013

On 13 Mar 2013, at 19:41, Anthony Tavener <anthony.tavener at gmail.com> wrote:

> with OCaml, I looked into the current state of things yesterday. Not much
> has changed... except you (Florent) have gotten a patch into LablGL for
> shader support -- hooray! And I also found someone else has added
> changes to glcaml/sdlcaml and posted them here:

My interest in OpenGL has also been renewed by js_of_ocaml and WebGL...
David Sheets did a great presentation on his work on WebGL at the last
OCaml workshop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll9z1ULtgqo

...and there's lots of WebGL/OCaml code up at:
https://github.com/ashima/
(last I looked, it uses ocamljs and not js_of_ocaml yet, though).

I have in my head an awesome demo that involves the TryOCaml js toplevel,
and a WebGL window that responds in realtime :-)

I'm not really sure what the right buffer abstraction is that will work
with js_of_ocaml and OpenGL too. js_of_ocaml has some trickery to cast
strings as either immutable (i.e. native Javascript) and mutable (i.e.
native OCaml).  This doesn't work in native code, and Bigarrays are
much more explicit and flexible since they wrap system memory that is
outside the OCaml heap.

Anyway, lots to play with here...

-anil