[ocaml-platform] [Coq-Club] Coq opam package

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Wed Apr 10 22:26:53 BST 2013

On 10 Apr 2013, at 13:37, Thomas Refis <thomas.refis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another possibility is to not update a package right away when a knew
> optional dependency is available, but wait for the next "opam
> upgrade". And adding a "--ignore <package>" option to the upgrade
> command would be nice as well.
>
> The fact that you don't have a choice when installing a package to
> update all the package that may use it or not, is imho really
> frustrating. I have indeed had to recompile coq a few times as well,
> and the experience gets more annoying every time.

The issue with not recompiling dependent packages immediately is
that you leave your build environment with inconsistent packages
(since the library CRCs may no longer match).  OPAM is conservative
about not breaking ABI invariants by default, which seems wiser than
a few unnecessary recompilations at this stage.

I'd be inclined to figure out a mechanism to decouple Coq IDE from
Coq in the packaging a little more, rather than complicate the
optional dependency constraint analysis even more.