[ocaml-platform] Does Core change too often?

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain+ocaml at le-gall.net
Fri Feb 15 10:31:19 GMT 2013

Hi,

2013/2/15 Yaron Minsky <yminsky at janestreet.com>:
> Right now, the Core suite of libraries changes a lot --- we have a new
> release of everything every week.  The changes on a given week are
> small, but there are always changes.

I think this is a very good thing. I tend to delay too much the
release of my software and this is bad. Weekly/monthly delivery goals
are good.

> I can imagine this being something of a problem for OPAM.  If packages
> specify specific revisions of the Core suite, then we're going to have
> a massive version mismatch problem, where no two libraries can agree
> on the version of Core that they need.
>
> I have no obvious ideas as to how to solve this.  Does anyone else
> have ideas?  Should we simply encourage packagers to specify a
> lower-bound constraint on the Core libraries?

AFAIU, OPAM constraint model is inspired by Debian constraints
model... Although this is a very complex model, that can probably
express a lot of stuff, but it most often ends up by creating a new
problem (like SAT solving for 350+ packages).

I think that OPAM people should strongly recommend "lower-bound"
constraint and use the testing framework to semi-automate setting an
"higher bound". It can probably only be "semi-automated", because
making the difference between a true build failure and a build failure
cause by an upstream change is not that easy...

Cheers
Sylvain