[ocaml-platform] Does Core change too often?

Malcolm Matalka mmatalka at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 11:21:36 GMT 2013

Right now, I think Core not being afraid to change frequently is good.
I'd rather have that than a stale API that kind of sucks.  And I'd hate
to have the public Core get out of synch with what Jane St uses
internally because it increases the overhead for you which decreases the
chance of timely releases.

Multiple versions has not been a problem for me since I convert opam
packages I'm interested in to Nix packages, and Nix handles multiple
versions of installed packages just fine.  It's probably too late in the
game for opam to have this style as well, I don't know anything about
opam's design, but it's worked pretty well in Nix for me.

Beyond that, I think good semantic versioning is probably key.  If the
majority of Core changes are backwards compatible (I have no idea if
this is the case) then installing the right package for a lot of the
apps probably isn't so bad.

/Malcolm