[ocaml-platform] on the need and design of OCaml namespaces

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Fri Feb 22 20:38:58 GMT 2013

Le vendredi, 22 février 2013 à 20:04, Xavier Clerc a écrit :
> I beg to differ. My understanding is that we
> need to be able to gather several modules
> under a name *without* crafting a new
> module in the process.

Why exactly ? What's the problem if a new module is crafted in the process ? For me the problem seems only to be related to the way modules are linked in (the "pack problem" to give it a name). From a conceptual perspective I see absolutely no other, orthogonal, concept at play and hence see no reason to introduce a new one in the core language.

Le vendredi, 22 février 2013 à 20:50, Martin Jambon a écrit :

> It is different from the concept of module, which cannot be split into
> optional packages.

Ibid.

Maybe that's what should be challenged.

Daniel