[ocaml-platform] on the need and design of OCaml namespaces

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Mon Feb 25 18:04:49 GMT 2013

Le vendredi, 22 février 2013 à 22:51, Xavier Clerc a écrit :

> So, as of today, we have :- "archives" (cma / cmxa) allowing to gather modules but without
> naming (at the language level) the gathering ;
> - "packs" allowing to gather modules into a module.
> I regard namespaces are gathering modules into a named entity but
> without creating a module. Hence, it is a new beast, different from
> archives and packs.

So basically a new concept is introduced because "pack" is not technically satisfying. That's not the way I would like the language I program in to be designed. I'd rather see the problems pack has fixed which I'm sure could be done by allowing archives to be named at the language level as a module.

Daniel