[ocaml-platform] on the need and design of OCaml namespaces

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 09:37:14 GMT 2013

In this post, I'll try to take a high-level view of the discussion that has
happened so far. You can take this as an (opinionated) summary.

The main ideas of my proposal linked at the top, or more generally my work
on what people have been suggesting for namespaces, are the following:

1. Namespaces are about the out-of-the-language-question of how a given
in-source compilation unit name (masquerading as a module name) maps to an
in-filesystem compilation unit.
2. I was suggesting new features that (mostly) do not change the OCaml
language itself, but the semantics of this mapping and the way it is given
to the type-checker. This is a choice that some people may not agree with
(more on that later).
3. Actual OCaml implementations also have a notion of "internal module
name" that is contained in compiled object files; two modules of the same
internal name cannot be mixed together. This has important practical
implication, and we can consider the implementation space for internal
module names.

Alain has a large codebase with house-developed tools, unique build process
conventions, and the ironically unusual constraint of compiling quickly on
Windows. He pushes for having as few changes as possible. No change to the
internal module names (this means developers should use long
hopefully-unique filename to avoid conflicts), no change to the structure
of compilation unit names (no hierarchy), and a simple
compunit-name-to-compunit-name mapping to alleviate the pains. In my
initial proposal, this corresponds to restricting the compilation
environment descriptions to a flat mapping built by literals and merging
only.

Leo has the fairly different use case of Janestreet Core's library in mind:
hierarchy is important (Core.Foo looks better than Core_Foo and "open
namespace Core" is important), changing the language for greater good is
ok, and his particular suggestion is an in-language, compunit-wide "in
Core.Foo" construct that would both be added to the internal module name,
and be used to generate the mapping from compunit names from compunit *on
the developer side*, rather than on the user side (with then the simple
semantics that all mappings from the search path are merged). This can
against be seen as a way to define the compilation environment, giving
slightly more control to the module provider (mostly a placement in a
hierarchy). It corresponds to a restriction of the way to define
compilation environments that is even more severe, the user having no
control (compilation environments are built as the merging of all
developer-generated environments present in the search path).

Daniel is opposed to the addition of a new "namespace" concept to the OCaml
language. It is not completely clear to me whether he objects to:
1. the addition of more flexibility in the way compilation unit names are
mapped to compilation units, outside the language (the mapping file Alain
suggests, the more expressive mapping languages I have considered, or a
compilation-option version of the "in Foo.Bar" proposed by Leo)
2. or only the addition of a new concept *in the language itself*, such as
can be seen if we insist to write Core#Std#Map.Make rather than
Core.Std.Map.Make

I lament that, expect Alain, nobody gives a damn about letting users
redefine their own names or paths in a different way that what the module
provider planned for. I think it's an important part of the design space
that may allow quite convenient things (eg. scenarios of companies
maintaining a in-house repository of modules with pinned version, and still
being to interact with non-curated module collections in the same
programs), but apparently this is not something people care about. Well,
that's how it is, and hopefully this won't turn out to be overly
restrictive in the mid-term future.

## A more detailed discussion of Daniel's arguments

Daniel, I am glad that you defend this point of view, as I myself grow more
and more conservative of language extension ideas (maybe it's a contagious
effect of vicinity to OCaml designers...). I do completely agree that new
language features should be motivated by a (expressivity vs. complexity /
kludgeness) estimation, and that it is not a priori clear that we need
another "programming in the large" concept above modules.

Regarding point (2): About a year ago, I have worked with Nicolas Pouillard
on a way to make the objection go away, by seeing compilation unit names
only as modules in the source code: given a hierarchical compilation
environment, there is a principled way to turn any non-leaf path (that does
not denote a compilation unit by itself) into a module. Instead of
Core#Std#Map, we could write Core#Std.Map (seeing Core#Std as a module) or
even Core.Std.Map (seeing Core as module) without changing the semantics of
my proposal (or any consensual restriction of it). You can find this
specified in an older design document,
  http://gallium.inria.fr/~scherer/namespaces/pack_et_functor_pack.html
I had decided not to link it in my introductory mail because it add a bit
more complexity to the semantics of mapping compilation unit names to
compilation units, and my feeling was that discussing the design space of a
simpler basis was a better way to start a discussion that would certainly
become unwieldy to the risk of being improductive.

Summing things up: if you have a hierarchical mapping outside the language,
you can make it appear in OCaml source code as just as module hierarchy, as
you suggest. I think it actually adds *complexity* to the underlying
design, so there is a price to pay to hide this distinct notion of
(structured) compilation unit name. I would be ready to pay that price if
there is a wide agreement it is the right thing to do, but I personally
favor more explicit designs, at least as an experimentation and discussion
device (I think we should make the difference explicit and have a (module
Core#Std) construct turning a non-leaf compilation unit path into a module
with submodules, with the shared understanding that we can decide to hide
it under a syntactic ambiguity).

(The documentation also discusses the possibility of having *functors* that
span several compilation units, and that is something Yaron has requested
in the past. It is more complex and I don't think it is as ready, robust
and canonical as the module part, so I encourage you to ignore it in the
context of this discussion.)

Regarding point (1), your suggestion to use .cma as an already-existing
grouping of modules in submodules that could help solve module name
conflicts, I feel this is a more anecdotal part of your (still imprecise)
proposal that is more in the "you see it doesn't need to be that complex"
league that an actual principled design. I have a sympathy for the "least
effort" design process that it shares with Alain's proposal, but I think it
should not stop us from thinking about the whole design space in a
scientific way. (For example: unless I'm mistaken, .cma cannot currently
embed .cma, so your proposal for implementation reasons cannot expression
non-flat module hierarchies.) There are important technical details left to
be defined, such as how to avoid internal name clashes between submodules
of different .cma-packs. My intuition is that getting the details
straightened out would amount to re-implementing -pack (in particular the
-for-pack approach to internal module names prefixing) in terms of .cma
rather than .cmo. So the mapping from compilation unit names to compilation
units would still be entirely directed by the filesystem and search path as
it currently is, but with link-economic module packs. Why not, that's an
idea we could explore in more details, but note that its semantics would
still be split in two different "phases":
- a new notion of structured paths Foo#Bar that allows to denote a
compilation unit for bar.cmo embedded into foo.cma
- a possible way to hide this additional structure to source code,
masquerading Foo as a module, with a precise semantics when it is used for
something else than a projection (as in the document linked above; in fact
you could reuse the same proposal, I think)

This particular implementation choice gives away on quite a few things we
might want to have, such as:
- the ability to merge two sets of submodules that share a common parent
name (admittedly this is not useful in a provenance-oriented view of
compilation unit naming, but more in a Data.List view that is not
necessarily the good one to start with)
- the ability for users to build new/distinct parallel module organizations
- more-than-depth-2 hierarchies (implementation detail; might be fixed with
non-neglectible amount of work)
- compilation unit name aliasing / redefinition

But it looks interesting. Please go ahead with more detailed proposals!