[ocaml-platform] on the need and design of OCaml namespaces

Maxence Guesdon Maxence.Guesdon at inria.fr
Wed Feb 27 19:47:19 GMT 2013

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:47:42 +0100 (CET)
Xavier Clerc <xavier.clerc at inria.fr> wrote:

> ----- Mail original -----
> > Let me try to summarize the current situation about the argument
> > between Alain, Leo and myself.  I think Leo and I are roughly on the
> > same page, but I may be missing things.
>
> (...)
>
> > - SOURCE-LEVEL OPENS.  Alain would prefer to have namespace
> >   manipulations restricted to the command line, and therefore the
> >   build system.
>
> (...)
>
> >   My biggest objection to having opens be at the build system level
> >   is
> >   that it makes your code more ambiguous.  When you do namespace
> >   manipulations, you very much want to see what's happening by
> >   inspecting the source.
>
> I concur. Moreover, even if I am not sure that imitation is the
> sincerest form of flattery... I think we should have a look at
> how other languages deal with namespaces.
>
> Personal experience never exposed me to a language where namespaces
> are solely expressed in the build system. OCaml already looks
> alien enough to unevangelized people :-)

I started some F# project some weeks ago. Namespaces are declared in
source code, according to what I saw by now:
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd233219.aspx

But I'm really a beginner in this language. If someone on this list
knows about F#, can he/she tell us how it is handled ?

Maxence