[ocaml-platform] Followup to Leo's proposal

Alain Frisch alain.frisch at lexifi.com
Thu Mar 14 12:12:04 GMT 2013

On 03/14/2013 12:47 PM, Leo White wrote:
> Actually, you would still need to look in search path files for
> aliases. This would be true for any proposal that allows users to create
> their own namespaces from existing modules.

I don't understand, because I don't see why aliases are required to let
users create their own namespaces.  It is just a convenience, and since
I assume that only advanced users will tweak "default" namespaces, I
don't think we need this aliasing feature.  (Or we could provide a tool
to resolve aliases... Already an example of generated search path file!)

>>   In other words, ocamldep can return an exact result (a pair
>> of fully resolved namespace name + module name) for qualified references, without looking at the file system (for
>> "namespace through filenames") or parsing "search path files".
>
> It would still need to parse search path files.

If we remove aliasing from search path files, this is no longer the
case.  Since search path files are likely to be parsed by build systems
anyway, it's better to leave their semantics as simple as possible.

-- Alain